Mardi Gras Parking and Safety Tips
Jan 31st, 2023
Police are emphasizing that parents make every effort to place an identity card in their child's pocket in the event they become separated from each other. The card should provide the name of the child, address, telephone contact numbers, and the name of a relative.
In the event parents and children are separated, children should be instructed to go to the nearest police officer. Police will attempt to contact the parents, and the children will be taken to Central Precinct located at 55 N. Water Street until they can be reunited.
Citizens are being asked to refrain from calling 911 or the Mobile Police Department's non-emergency number for Mardi Gras information requests. Those requests should be addressed by dialing 311, the city's information line, or www.311.cityofmobile.org.
Other safety tips include:
- Attend parades in groups, with family or friends.
- Glass containers are prohibited by city ordinance
- Do not follow floats. Violators may be arrested.
- Do not throw any object in the direction of floats, band members or any parade participants. Violators may be arrested.
- Materials known as "Silly String" and "Snap & Pops" along with similar products are illegal. Possession of any these products may result in arrest.
- Do not cross the barricades. Each officer will carry a ticket book and issue citations for the offense. The fine for crossing the barricades is $298.
- No underage drinking is allowed. Special undercover police details arrest violators.
- If you need police assistance during a parade, go to the nearest intersection and advise a uniformed police officer.
- Choose a well-lit area for night parade viewing.
- Establish a post-parade meeting place for family and friends in case you become separated.
- Park vehicles in secure areas and do not leave valuables in plain sight. Utilize the trunk to store valuables.
- Uniformed and plainclothes officers will be patrolling behind the crowds to identify and arrest persons engaging in criminal activity.
- Pets are prohibited during the parades downtown.
- Skateboards and motorized scooters are prohibited.