Mobile Police Explorers Program
The Mobile Police Department’s Explorer Program is designed to involve young men and women in community events while increasing citizen-police cooperation and understanding. While in the program Explorers will participate and learn Law Enforcement duties to include;
- Patrol Operations
- Criminal Investigations
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Traffic control and enforcement
- Special Operations
- Report writing
- Radio Communications
- Firearms proficiency
- Close order drill.
The Explorer program is an excellent opportunity for young men and women, who are interested in pursuing a career in Law Enforcement, to discover what policing is really like while exposing them to community involvement, patriotism and citizenry.
This program is part of the Boy Scouts of America - Learning for Life and sponsored by the Mobile Police Department. All Explorer activities are supervised by certified police officers.
The Explorer Program serves
- As a recruitment tool for young men and women interested in careers in law enforcement
- As a community relation tool to create positive relationships between police and youth, as well as between youth and the community
- To promote community service
- To supplement the sworn police force in carrying out certain activities
Explorer’s 5 Areas of Emphasis
- Career Opportunities - real world career skills
- Leadership Experience - leadership skills employers crave
- Life Skills - conflict resolution, problem solving, relationship skills
- Citizenship - learn democratic process and respect for others
- Character Education - ethical decision making
Meetings will take place at the MPD Training Academy located at 1251 Virginia Street. Meetings are biweekly from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Anyone interested in becoming a Mobile Police Explorer should call the Training Academy at 208-2730.
- Applicant be 14-19 years of age
- Applicant must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA
- Applicant must pass a background examination and have no criminal convictions or serious traffic violations
- Applicant must be a responsible citizen with a good reputation and good character
- Applicant must be free from any physical or mental conditions that could impair participation in the program
- Applicant must have full approval and support from a parent or guardian
- Applicant must make a commitment to attend at least 80 percent of functions and events.
THIS PROGRAM IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR “AT RISK OR TROUBLED” YOUTHS
Come join us!