WAGES AND BENEFITS
For a starting police officer, wages vary according to level of education:
- $29,361 for a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- $30,848 for an Associate Degree
- $32,410 for a Bachelor's Degree
- $34,050 for a Master's Degree
- Health and Dental administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.
- Prescription drug coverage administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.
- Twenty (20) year retirement at age 55 to a maximum benefit of 72.5 percent of base pay at 30 years.
- Health insurance upon retirement at 20 years.
- Take home vehicle program.
- Uniforms, weapons and other police equipment.
- Basic life insurance and accidental death and disability paying two times annual salary to a maximum of $75,000.
- Dependent life insurance of $2,000 for each dependent covered by the city health plan.
- Employee assistance program providing confidential counseling for individual, family, couples, substance abuse, and more.
- Thirteen (13) paid holidays.
- Paid sick leave.
- Built-in overtime.
- Per diem.