The starting salary for a police officer is $31,679.43. Based on level of education beyond a high school diploma or GED, a police officer can earn up to 15 percent more. After the six-month probationary period, there is a salary increase of $5,000 available.
- Health and Dental administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- Prescription drug coverage administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- Twenty (20) year retirement at age 55 to a maximum benefit of 72.5 percent of base pay at 30 years
- Take-home vehicle program
- Uniforms, weapons and other police equipment
- Basic life insurance and accidental death and disability paying two times annual salary to a maximum of $75,000
- Dependent life insurance of $2,000 for each dependent covered by the city health plan
- Employee assistance program providing confidential counseling for individual, family, couples, substance abuse, and more.
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Built-in overtime
- Per diem